Recall the budget speech.
FM said during her budget speech that we are largely a tax *'non- compliant'* society and presented that only *3.7 crores* are filing ITRs in this poor country of 125 crore population.
The reply by CAs, CSs, CMAs is as follows.
We have 82 crore voters. Among them
Nearly 75% are agriculturists ie. 61.5 crores ( You exempted them straight away, but they can also buy cars, bungalows etc. as you quoted.. Your political colleagues are also enjoying this exemption).
Balance remains... 20.5 crores.
Less:24% BPL class ( Below poverty line)
This means 15 crore population ( which is non agriculturist and non-BPL)of India.
Less: Senior Citizens, Nonworking wives, unemployed youths, below-taxable income earners... political class.. (say 75%)* ... in a typical Indian family only 1 earning member and 5/6 are dependent on him...
*Balance: (15-11.25)=3.75 crores is the earning class ... which can file ITRs and ... they are already filing it...*
.... So almost no gap as FM is stressing unnecessarily without knowing her country.
If FM wants more people to come into tax net ... then... instead foolishly resorting to rampant raids, surveys, notices, scrutiny, demonetisations etc viewed as *tax terrorism* ... she should defy her negative bureaucrats and do these reforms.
1. Introduce simple Income Tax on Agricultural Income on large landlords ( Say 10 Acres plus ) - you can add 26% of Agriculturists as taxpayers *( Politicians are also enjoying this exemption )*
2. Instead of introducing 5000 /10000 penalties on late filers of IT return ...
*come out with positive approach and introduce incentives to IT return filers* ( learn from Pakistan, IT assessee gets discount in the purchase of Car )
3. *Introduce Privilege card to those paying taxes above certain limit.. privilege card to entitle assessee with benefits like Priority quota in railway tickets , Use of airport lounges, subsidised medical facilities, etc etc... let Taxpayers feel proud*
4. *Introduce medical insurance / life insurance on basis of average ITR filled... like coverage upto twice of Gross Income in ITR filed for mediclaim and ten times risk cover in case of life insurance*
5. *Introduce Pension after 65 yrs of age on the basis of tax paid by the taxpayer during his/her working life..*
Let honest taxpayers get certain direct benefits....
As on today, 3.3% of Indian population is filing ITRs as compared to 8% of China...adding large agriculturists to Income Tax may shoot the figure to more than 10% .... it may help you to cool your tax terrorism mindset and a tax compliant nation.
www.jharkhandstatenews.com appeals to viewers to stand for the reforms in the interests of the nation.*LET'S SPREAD THIS TO EDUCATE HONEST TAXPAYERS*
Do you support this? If yes, please forward it to like-minded and honest citizens of our motherland - India.