Tokyo Olympics 2020 is past.It has established a a set of achievements of Indian athletics. These are worth recording.
JharkhandStateNews is publishing a fact-sheet of this historic event in sports and athletics of the country.
Consider this :
Tokyo Olympics 2020 Fact-Sheet
• India sent a 128-member contingent of athletes – the largest ever and registered their highest tally of medals from any Olympics, which was 7 medals.
• India men’s team won the first medal in hockey at the Olympics since their gold medal at the Moscow Olympics 1980.
• India women’s hockey team entered the semifinals of the Olympics for the first-time ever.
• India women’s hockey team finished fourth in Olympics for the 2nd time after finishing in the same position in 1980 Moscow Olympics.
• Neeraj Chopra won the first gold medal for independent India in athletics at the Olympics.
• Neeraj Chopra became only the 2nd Indian individual gold medalist in the Olympics after Abhinav Bindra.
• PV Sindhu became the first woman to win two successive gold medals.
• The men’s 4 x 400m relay team created a new Asian Record at the Olympics.
• Nethra Kumanan became the first female sailor from India to qualify for the Olympics.
• Bhavani Devi became the only fencer from India to make it to the Olympics since the sport was introduced.
• Avinash Sable re-wrote his national record in the men’s 3000m steeplechase.
• Fouaad Mirza finished 23rd in Equestrian Eventing, the best place achieved by an Indian ever in Equestrian.
• Arjun Lal and Arvind Singh finished 11th in the Rowing lightweight double sculls event. This has been the best-ever finish for Indian Rowers at the Olympics.
• Aditi Ashok finished 4th in golf, thus registering the high