There have been some media reports alleging that India’s family planning programme is likely to get severely affected due to failure in procuring contraceptives by the country’s central procurement agency, the Central Medical Services Society (CMSS).
Such reports are ill-informed and provides misleading information.
Contraceptives include :
*Oral contraceptive pills
*Barrier methods( external and internal condoms, diaphragms)
* Tubal ligation and vasectomy
The Central Medical Services Society (CMSS), New Delhi, an autonomous body and a Central Procurement Agency under Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare procures condoms for National Family Planning Programme and National AIDS Control Programme.
CMSS procured 5.88 crores pieces of condoms for Family Planning Programme in May, 2023 and the present stock position of condoms is sufficient to meet the requirement of the Family Planning Programme.
Currently, NACO is receiving supplies of 75% free condoms from M/s HLL Lifecare Ltd. and is preparing to place remaining 25% quantities for 2023-24 with CMSS on the basis of recent approvals. Requirement of NACO is being met through 66 million pieces ordered from Ms HLL Lifecare Ltd. The order is currently under supplies and indents for one year requirements will be placed with Ms HLL Lifecare Ltd. and CMSS with the approvals of competent authority. There has been no instance of shortfall due to delay in procurement by CMSS.
CMSS has already published tenders in the current financial year for procurement of different varieties of condoms and these tenders are at advance stage of finalization.
It is clarified that there is no cause for worry as the Union Health Ministry is keeping a close watch on the situation and weekly review meeting is being held in the Ministry to monitor tendering process and supply position of various medicines and medical items being procured by the CMSS for various Programmes of the Ministry.